header image
Don’t Stop Belayvin - Waterford Song
September 4th, 2008. [ Comments: 10 ]

Just saw this over on (Waterford message boards). Nice change of lyrics. Didn’t know they were so musically gifted down there!


Waterford’s 1959 and 1948 Winning Teams
September 3rd, 2008. [ Comments: 1 ]

Will the 2008 bunch emulate the 1959 heroes (Waterford 3-12 Kilkenny 1-10)

Ned Power
Joe Harney, Austin Flynn, John Barron;
M Lacey, Martin Og Morrissey, J Condon;
Seamus Power, Phil Grimes;
Mick Flannely, Tom Cheasty, Frankie Walsh (capt);
Larry Guinan, T Cunningham, J Kiely

or the 1948 winning team (Waterford 6-7 Dublin 4-2)

Jim Ware (capt)
Andy Fleming, John Cusack, Jackie Goode;
Mick Hickey, Vin Baston, Mick Hayes;
John O’Connor, Eddie Carew;
Kevin O’Connor, John Keane, Christy Moylan;
Willy Galvin, Ned Daly, Tom Curran

Thanks to for those lists.


1959 All Ireland Replay Photos and Video
September 2nd, 2008. [ Comments: 2 ]

There’s some photos and around 8 minutes of video .

The highlights are great to watch. Waterford’s third goal by Tom Cheasty is an absolute cracker. Interesting tactic by Kilkenny with their last 21 yard free. Proably see more ground hurling in that 8 minutes of highlights that you will in the whole 70 minutes on Sunday.

Waterford’s last win and the last time we had a draw/replay. Will either of those facts change on Sunday?


All Ireland Final Prediction
September 1st, 2008. [ Comments: 1 ]

Kilkenny, Waterford or a draw - can’t be too hard to pick one. 33% chance of getting it right. Given that draws are rare enough, especially in finals I suppose you could say it’s more like a 40% chance with either Kilkenny or Waterford. Then you see that Kilkenny are odds on favourites in the betting so realistically you have to say that by picking Kilkenny you’d be giving yourself nearly 55-60% chance of getting it right.

Anyway enough with lucky dips. Kilkenny are deservedly the red hot favourites. They look a class above all others, their level of play outstanding. Finals are about more than skill though, in recent years the teams going for three in a row have been stopped by the hungrier more intense side. Cork stopping Kilkenny in 2004 and Kilkenny stopping Cork in 2006. Waterford look to have that passion and hunger this year ably stirred up by Davy Fitz. If they can hit the ground running and the ref does his job in not allowing Kilkenny’s backs assault Kelly and Mullane then there’s every chance the Deise can end their 49 year wait.

No point in getting too much in it. All detailed predictions are just a waste of time. You can never tell what’s going to happen, especially on All Ireland Final day.

I was going to say that whatever happens I hope it’s a great game but that’s a load of rubbish. For the sake of the game we obviously need a Waterford win, so if they win by 2 points to 1 who cares. The record books have enough Kilkenny entries, it’s time Waterford got their third one. I’m picking Waterford then 1-21 to 2-17.


Kilkenny win Intermediate All Ireland
August 30th, 2008. [ Comments: 1 ]

One All Ireland won three to go for Kilkenny. They today.

They’ll be looking for 3 out of 4 next Sunday with the senior and minor.


All Ireland Final Betting
August 30th, 2008. [ Comments: 4 ]

Kilkenny are obviously the clear favourites. The handicap seems to be around 5 points.

have Kilkenny at 2/7 with Waterford at 10/3 and the draw at 11/1.

also have Kilkenny at 2/7 with Waterford at 3/1 and the draw at 12/1.
Interestingly they offer evens on Kilkenny doubling up with minor and senior.
Or you can be mad and have 145/1 on both games ending in a draw!

It’s similar enough on , where Kilkenny are around 4/11 and Waterford 7/2 but those prices change pretty often.

I might have a few bob on the Kilkenny double although you can never rely on minors.

Hard to see Kilkenny not winning the senior though.


Davy Fitzgerald Team Talk Video
August 27th, 2008. [ Comments: 1 ]

A video that’s doing the rounds at the moment and is on youtube aswell. Davy Fitz giving a “rousing” half time talk to his LIT team. Some idiot in the dressing room decided to record it on his mobile phone. The culprit won’t be too popular in any other dressing room in the future.

UPDATE: Removed the video link from here. Think it’s pretty dumb really of the culprit


Kilkenny and Tipperary into Under 21 Final
August 23rd, 2008. [ Comments: none ]

Kilkenny and Tipperary won the under 21 semi finals today.


Watched Kilkenny Galway on TG4. Wasn’t the greatest of games. Load of wides from both sides. Not much atmospehere in a near empty Semple Stadium. Kilkenny were the better team throughout. Galway’s backs struggled and up front Joe Canning didn’t see a whole lot of the ball. He did however put over three glorious sideline cuts. There can’t be any doubt he’s the greatest ever exponent of that skill. Richie Hogan got man of the match after he scored 2-5.

Sets up a repeat of the 2006 final which Kilkenny won after a replay.


Under 21 Semi Finals
August 21st, 2008. [ Comments: none ]

With the senior All Ireland places decided action switches to the under 21s this weekend. Its Galway v Kilkenny and Tipperary v Derry.

The Galway Kilkenny game should be a cracker. It’s live on TG4 at 2.30 on Saturday. They’ve shared the last 5 titles between them and Galway are the defending champs. With the annual failure of their senior team they’ll be hoping for a Minor and Under 21 to pick them up.

Tipperary should be way too strong for Derry and it gives them a chance to lift spirits in the county after the defeat to Waterford. Great to see Derry in an All Ireland semi. Hopefully they can put up a decent show.

The B semi finals are on aswell. Carlow v Donegal and Kerry v Roscommon.

Saturday August 23rd
All Ireland Under 21 Semi Finals
Galway v Kilkenny (2.30pm, Thurles, Live on TG4)
Tipperary v Derry (2.30pm, Mullingar)

All Ireland Under 21 B Semi Finals
Carlow v Donegal
Kerry v Roscommon


Waterford beat Tipperary in All Ireland Semi Final
August 17th, 2008. [ Comments: 12 ]

Waterford are through to their first All Ireland final since 1963 after they . A powerful start and finish were they keys as they jumped out to a 6 points to nothing lead and then outscored Tipp 5 points to 1 in the closing minutes.

Tipperary Waterford Teams

Tipp were probably rusty after their long lay off since the Munster final win and it took them a while to get up to speed. As Waterford have discovered what’s the point in winning a provincial final if it puts you at a disadvantage for the next game - time for an open draw system. Tipp were outstanding all year and just get pipped in one game and it’s over, Waterford have been very poor all year, got an easy draw in the qualifiers and now win one big game and suddenly they do what they failed to do for the last 45 years.

Davy Fitzgerald must be a happy man tonight, god knows what Justin McCarthy makes of it all. All the fuss about him being unfairly got rid of but now the players have responded by reaching the All-Ireland final.

Liam Sheedy can be happy with his first year. They’ve won plenty, have a young team, plenty of talented minors coming through and he looks like a great manager - so it all points to some great years ahead for Tipperary, not that that’s much consolation to them tonight.

The Deise march on to a mouth watering clash with Kilkenny. Should be a great first Sunday in September.


« Previous entries Next entries »

Polls

Are Kilkenny the greatest team ever?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
 
Subscribe
     
Blogs I Read
License

HurlingBlog.com is licensed under a .

Banner Image by Greg Franklin.