4pm Man Utd news LIVE: Jadon Sancho transfer LATEST, Grealish ‘will 100 per cent leave if Aston Villa relegated’ – The Sun

MANCHESTER UNITED are set for a busy summer in the transfer market.

As Premier League clubs hope to restart the campaign when safe to do so, the Red Devils are reportedly eyeing up a move for Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

Follow all the latest updates and transfer news below…

  • G-RAB HIM

    United have been in contact with Adrien Rabiot’s representatives over a possible move from Juventus, according to reports in Italy.

    The Frenchman, who joined the club just last summer, has started 11 matches in Serie A and 16 in all competitions this campaign.

    Maurizio Sarri is overloaded in central midfield, favouring the likes of Miralem Pjanic, Rodrigo Bentancur and Blaise Matuidi over Rabiot.

    Calciomercato say United are ‘serious’ about signing Rabiot and the Frenchman’s agent is ‘at work’ trying to seal a move to the Premier League.

  • SWITCH IT UP

    Man Utd have reportedly been offered Aaron Ramsey and Adrien Rabiot for Paul Pogba as Juventus try to slash the wantaway midfielder's £132m asking price.

    The coronavirus crisis is set to spell the end of football’s big-money transfers with the swap deal making a comeback this summer.

    According to AS, Juve are desperate land Pogba in the coming transfer window.

    So much so that they have offered Ramsey and Rabiot in a bid to cut the Frenchman's eye-watering fee, given the financial uncertainty amid the killer virus.

    Boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is thought to be a big fan of the Welshman – who joined Bianconeri for free last year but has struggled to find his feet in Turin, mustering just three top-flight goals.

    Rabiot is keen to do business with the Red Devils, and reportedly refused to return to Juve after lockdown.

    United have sent scouts to watch him “several times” this season as Solskjaer looks to inject even more creativity into his midfield alongside Portuguese maestro Bruno Fernandes.

  • KICK THE CAN

    How about this for an incredible piece of football history?

    Liverpool had the chance to stop Eric Cantona signing for Man Utd – but Graeme Souness passed on the chance to sign him.

    Michel Platini, who was France boss at the time, told Souness he was looking to find Cantona a suitable stage on which to showcase his talent.

    Clubs in England were sounded out, with Leeds eventually signing him in January 1992 after he had previously had a trial spell at Sheffield Wednesday.

    Cantona spent less than 12 months at Elland Road before being taken to Old Trafford, where he became an icon.

    But speaking about missing out on the enigmatic Frenchman, Souness said: “I was manager of Liverpool and we played Auxerre in the Cup Winners' Cup and we lost 2-0 away, we came back and beat them 3-0.

    “After the game, Terry Littlewood, who used to look after the players' lounge and my lounge, security-wise, knocked on my door and said there's a pal outside, he's a good friend of yours and he wants to speak to you.

    “I said 'who is it?' and he said 'it's Michel Platini'. Not a close pal of mine, the only time I had come in contact with him was when I played against him when I was in Italy.

    “He came in and said 'I've got a player for you, he's a real problem in France but he's really talented and he'd be perfect for your club'. I said 'look, Michel, I'm fighting fires here at the moment, I'm trying to get some people out of the door that are resisting, I'm fighting a dressing room here. The last thing I need is another controversial figure'.

    “Eric of course then came over on trial with Sheffield Wednesday, then signed for Leeds and the rest is history. When he went to United, it was a young team and young players need someone like that on the pitch to look up to. I think Eric was certainly one of them.”

  • WHAT A GIGGLE

    Ryan Giggs almost quit Manchester United in 2003 and could have signed for BOLTON.

    The Welshman ended up staying with Sir Alex Ferguson's side and went on to win ten more trophies with the Red Devils before his retirement in 2014, aged 40.

    Giggs told BeIN Sport: “Around 2003/04 I didn’t have a great start to the season.

    “It was the summer that David Beckham went, that was the probably the closest I got to going.

    “My form wasn’t great, and it was the transition period where I’d gone from flying winger to coming in a little bit more inside.

    “I’d lost that pace. I actually ended the season quite strong. If I hadn’t ended the season strong, who knows.

    “But other than that there wasn’t really a time when the manager would say I wasn’t doing well.

    “I was in and out of the team towards the end of my career but I was used to that. I was fine with that.

    “I was 35 to 40, I was fine, and I had got my head around that quite quickly, that I would be in and out of the team.”

    Inter Milan and Juventus were both linked with the United legend and even Sam Allardyce’s high-flying Bolton were keen.

    But Giggs, 46, proved his worth and went on to cement his place as one of United's all time greats.

  • DON'T CROSS CRIS

    Cristiano Ronaldo was one of just four Manchester United stars who were immune from Sir Alex Ferguson's hairdryer treatment, says Ryan Giggs.

    Fergie is the most successful manager in Old Trafford history after winning 38 trophies, including 12 Prem League titles in his 26-year reign but had a reputation for verbally blasting his players.

    His notorious temper even left David Beckham needing stitches on his eye after the Scotsman accidentally struck him with a flying boot.

    But Giggs has revealed that Ronaldo was one of just four aces spared the dreaded hairdryer treatment.

    Speaking to the beIN Sports, United's all-time leading appearance maker said: “There were three or four players that he never had a go at.

    “Eric Cantona was one – Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Cristiano Ronaldo. They were all in their own ways match winners.

    “They did the stuff on the pitch, so he never felt he had to.”

  • CARL ME MAYBE

    Manchester United are lining up a £35million raid for Benfica goal machine Carlos Vinicius, according to reports.

    The Brazilian striker heads the Portuguese scoring charts with 15 goals in 19 Primeira Liga appearances – and 20 from 33 games in all competitions.

    Vinicius, 25, has already attracted interest from Liverpool.A £15million buy from Napoli last summer, he is under contract until 2024.

    Lisbon media now claim Old Trafford boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to sign the striker during the close season.

    Vinicius has an £88m release clause in his contract.However the inflated figure is seen as highly unrealistic with the transfer market hit by the coronavirus pandemic.

    And Portuguese media reports say United are ready to test Benfica's resolve by offering 40 million euros – £35m.

  • LYON IN WAIT

    Former Man Utd man Memphis Depay could quit Lyon after the club missed out on European football when the Ligue 1 season was axed.

    The Dutch ace may part ways with the French side after they failed to qualify for Europe for the first time in 23-years.

    Seventh-placed Lyon were pushing for a spot in Europe before the campaign was axed and have now threatened legal action against the decision.

    In a statement on Thursday the club said the top flight should have been resolved on the pitch rather than in the boardroom although they acknowledged PSG as the rightful winners.

    And owner Jean-Michel Aulas fears the club could lose their most prized assets, including Depay if they cannot offer the prospect of starring on the European stage.

    He told Le Progres: “I'm going to do everything to keep the players, but players programmed to play European competitions may want to look elsewhere because we are deprived of the Champions League.

    “I have no news for now. Memphis tells me that he is ready to discuss [a new contract] when he returns. His agents say that he rather reflects on a leaving opportunity if we don't play in Europe.”

  • 'TOO MANY PROBLEMS'

    There are “too many problems” around Paul Pogba at Manchester United, says Frank Leboeuf.

    The former France star says his compatriot needs to rediscover a spark, with new arrival Bruno Fernandes showing proper leadership skills.

    Leboeuf told ESPN: “”There is a frustration and it’s understandable when you have seen his performances.

    “He started pretty well, he showed that he could be a leader but I think there is a lack of consistency in his game.

    “No doubt that he is a fantastic player, he’s shown it at Juventus and at the beginning when he joined Manchester United.

    “Since then there seems to be so many problems around him, around the club, or around his team-mates that in fact, we don’t see the Pogba we want to see with all the qualities that he has.

    “Maybe he’s a leader in the dressing room but he doesn’t show that he can be a technical leader like Bruno Fernandes immediately showed to the crowd when he signed for Manchester United.”

  • AD ENOUGH

    Man Utd have been in contact with Adrien Rabiot’s representatives over a possible move from Juventus, according to reports in Italy.

    The Frenchman, who joined the club just last summer, has started 11 matches in Serie A and 16 in all competitions this campaign.

    Maurizio Sarri is overloaded in central midfield, favouring the likes of Miralem Pjanic, Rodrigo Bentancur and Blaise Matuidi over Rabiot.

    Calciomercato say United are ‘serious’ about signing Rabiot and the Frenchman’s agent is ‘at work’ trying to seal a move to the Premier League.

  • OD MAN OUT?

    Man Utd have been set a deadline for Odion Ighalo transfer talks.

    Old Trafford chiefs have been told they must decide whether to buy him for £20m by the end of May after loan talks with Shanghai Shenhua reportedly collapsed.

    United were hoping to extend the Nigeria international’s loan deal for the Premier League’s ‘Project Restart’ but the Chinese outfit will only sanction a permanent deal.

    With Ighalo’s loan drawing to a close at the end of the month, United now face a decision whether to cough up £20m to sign him or accept he won’t be part of their squad if and when the season resumes.

  • MOUS THE MAN

    Man Utd and Chelsea have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Moussa Dembele after Lyon's president admitted he may be forced to cash in.

    The Premier League duo and Arsenal are preparing to make their moves as they battle it out to sign a new striker.

    The ex-Fulham star, 23, has scored 16 times in 27 French top-flight matches this season, attracting the attention of clubs across Europe.

    It is believed the Ligue 1 side are willing to listen to offers in the region of £60million.

    Chelsea made their move in the January transfer window but saw an offer knocked back with Lyon not willing to sell half way through the campaign.

    But their stance is set to change with the club to miss out on European football next campaign.

  • KEY WEEK FOR PREM

    The Premier League is set for a big key in deciding whether the Premier League’s ‘Project Restart’ will actually happen.

    It is understood that 14 out of 20 clubs must agree on a decision before it is officially put into place – with a vote scheduled for Monday.

    Brighton are among six teams who do not want to continue the campaign at neutral venues and Barber has expressed concerns in terms of the loss of their home advantage.

    Yesterday, Brighton CEO Paul Barber issued a fresh warning over hopes of a June 12 return and insisted one misstep could “ruin lives”, with three Seagulls players testing positive for coronavirus.

  • GOOD MORNING, RED DEVILS FANS

    Shanghai Shenhua will demand £20million for Odion Ighalo if Manchester United want to keep the on-loan striker.

    The Red Devils are hopeful of working out an agreement with Shanghai to keep the impressive Ighalo at the club for when and if the season finally comes to an end.

    Ighalo has a new two-year deal on the table at Shanghai worth a staggering £400,000-a-week.

    But United know they won't be able to match Shanghai's wage packet.

    Meanwhile, Paul Pogba can be the best player in the world at Manchester United according to his former team-mate Ander Herrera.

    Herrera told ESPN: “[Pogba] can be the best midfielder in the world.

    “In terms of qualities, he has everything. I have never seen a midfielder who has all the qualities you can have.

    “He can recover a lot of balls, he can head the ball, he can score goals, he can defend, he can attack, he's so strong and tall.

    “It's true that since he came to the club he has some ups and downs, but when he was good, he was really good. Amazing. It was a pleasure to play with him.

    “I think all the Manchester United fans want to see the best of Pogba. That can happen, and with Bruno Fernandes, I think Manchester United can do great things.”

    Finally, United have reignited their interest in Chelsea target and Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez.

    Sport reports that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has tried to tempt him by putting a “multi-million pound contract” on the table.

    Martinez has a huge £94million buyout clause in his contract in his contract with the Serie A giants.

    But United and Chelsea face competition from Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG for the Argentine’s coveted signature.

  • AD ENOUGH

    Adrien Rabiot has reportedly refused to return to Juventus after lockdown as he looks to force his way out of the club.

    Manchester United have been heavily linked to the 25-year-old after sending scouts to watch him “several times” this season.

    Serie A clubs have been given the go ahead from the government to return to training as of Monday.

    A number of Rabiot's Juventus team-mates have flocked back to Turin as they prepare for football to return.

    Cristiano Ronaldo arrived back in Italy on Monday and has to spend 14 days in quarantine after being on lockdown in Madeira.

    According to Sport, Rabiot has not even been in touch with his club to tell them when he will be back.

  • OD ONE OUT

    Shanghai Shenhua will demand £20million for Odion Ighalo if Manchester United want to keep the on-loan striker.

    The Red Devils are hopeful of working out an agreement with Shanghai to keep the impressive Ighalo at the club for when and if the season finally comes to an end.

    According to Sky Sports, it will only happen if United stump up £20m in order to make the loan move permanent.

    Ighalo has a new two-year deal on the table at Shanghai worth a staggering £400,000-a-week.

    United are keen to sign Ighalo following his impressive stint at Old Trafford with four goals in his last five matches.

    But they know they won't be able to match Shanghai's wage packet.

  • HAA LA LAND

    A former coach of red-hot Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland has criticised Manchester United for failing to land his former striker.

    And Alf Ingve Berntsen, who managed Haaland at Bryne in the 2016-17 season, has also admitted that he'd like to see the 19-year-old move to Liverpool.

    He told Goal: “I’m a fan of Liverpool, so of course I would like to see him play for them.

    “English football is by far the most popular in Norway.

    “And most young Norwegian footballers dream of playing in the Premier League, as did Erling’s father [Alf Inge Haaland].

    “I sincerely believe that he has the skills to play at such a club.”

    “I don’t know what the strategies of Real Madrid, Manchester United or the other big clubs are with regard to Erling.

    “But if I had been responsible for the six to eight best clubs in the world, I would have bought him immediately.

    “He is already very good, he has shown a great personality, he scores a lot of goals whatever the level of the opponents, and he is only 19 years old.

    “He will continue to develop and in two years he will be one of the best.”

  • UNITED ROUND-UP

    Premier League clubs continue to try and get the season back underway, but Project Restart remains on rocky ground.

    With three Brighton players in quarantine after testing positive over the weekend, top-flight clubs are meeting on Monday to dicuss options.

    At Old Trafford, there's still a focus on getting the campaign finished – and also plenty of spuculation on the transfer market.

    Reports suggest that Spurs have joined United and Chelsea in the race for Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.

    The 25-year-old is under contract until 2024, with the Serie A club valuing him at £80million.

    The Serbian has caught the eye with five goals and seven assists in 30 games as he and his team-mates mounted a surprise title challenge prior the campaign being suspended.

    However, Calciomercato claim Lazio could come under big pressure to hold onto their prized-asset with a queue of clubs looking to snap him up.

    While Sport reports that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has tried to tempt Lautaro Martinez by putting a “multi-million pound contract” on the table.

    United and Chelsea face competition from Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG for the Argentine’s coveted signature.

    And Inter Milan legend Ivan Cordoba believes that United made a big mistake selling Romelu Lukaku last summer.

    He told the Mail: “Lukaku is an extraordinary player.

    “Manchester United did not understand the player's potential and his last season was bad for him. In my opinion Lukaku is proving everyone to be a champion.”

Source: Read Full Article