Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: La Liga gets a return date, F1 British Grand Prix government talks, Premier League LATEST – The Sun
THE Premier League is a step closer after the return of players to training, but N'Golo Kante and Troy Deeney will not have to train after concerns over coronavirus.
Meanwhile LaLiga is setting a much brisker pace as it has pencilled in June 12 for the first fixture back – Sevilla vs Betis.
Follow all the latest coronavirus in sport updates below…
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will race in Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix for McLaren – but only on a computer game.
F1's season has not even started due to the coronavirus pandemic but they are running virtual GPs.
This week they should be racing around Monte Carlo but have to settle for an online version where the Arsenal striker will partner British racer, Lando Norris.
He said: “I've been practicing but it's really hard! I've tried to train every day – hopefully Lando will help me because some of the turns are really, really hard.
“I said to my team before that I love challenges, and this one is a big one for me, so I'm happy to do it with Lando.”
RYS AND LOWS
Ryan Giggs fears he will not see his Wales stars for 18 MONTHS due to coronavirus.
He told MUTV Group Chat: “Potentially we won’t have been together for over a year, it could be 18 months if it goes to March which isn’t ideal.
“We are supposed to play games in September, October and November which is obviously up in the air at the moment.
“We still don’t know.”
Jockeys will be required to wear masks when racing returns on June 1.
The British Horseracing Authority have released a 33-page document outlining the measures that will be in place.
Trainers have also been urged against entering any “difficult” or “fractious” horses as only two stall handlers wil be allowed.
The BHA will also appoint social distancing officers.
KEPT AT BAY
Bayern Munich are in cruise control.
Hans-Dieter Flick's side look set to extend their lead at the top of the table.
The trilogy fight between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury could take place in the Far East before the end of the year, according to reports.
Both fights between the pair have so far been held in the United States, but a new option has been presented.
According to talkSPORT's Michael Benson, a lucrative offer is on the table from the Far East to host the WBC heavyweight title bout.
He tweeted: “Told by Frank Warren that Bob Arum has informed him they've now received an offer from a territory in the Far East to host Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder III at the back end of this year.”
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
Fear not sport-deprived footy fans, SunSport have got you covered.
Click here to tune into our dedicated live blog of Bayern Munich vs Frankfurt.
Kick-off was at 5:30pm, so get a move on!
Spartak Moscow have confirmed two of their players have tested positive for coronavirus.
A statement from the club on Twitter read: “On Thursday, football players, coaching staff and staff members were tested for Covid-19.
“Results showed abnormalities in two players.”
LOCKED AND LOADED
Tyson Fury has told Dillian Whyte to keep his trap shut – and reckons he is only being mouthy because he is “protected” by the coronavirus lockdown.
Whyte continued his war of words with the Gypsy King this week by claiming he knocked him down in sparring.
In response, the Gypsy King said on Twitter: “Funny how everyone wants to fight during Covid-19, when there are no sports events happening.
“Also I have a contract with the @bronzebomber first and when I win that I'll have the fight with Joshua as undisputed comes before mandatory. Happy hunting.”
As reported by SunSport this morning, Borussia Monchengladbach's home clash with Bayer Leverkusen is being played in front of 13,000 cut out fans.
LA LA LAND
Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez has confirmed that LaLiga will return on June 8.
The league’s president Javier Tebas has been desperate to follow the Bundesliga’s lead and resume the 2019-20 season.
And with LaLiga clubs having stepped up their training this week – now allowed to do so in groups of up to ten – Sanchez has officially given the green light to a June 8 return in a press conference.
All 20 teams have 11 games remaining, with Barcelona leading Real Madrid by two points at the top of the table.
It's just 30 minutes until the first of today's FIVE German football games kick-off and Borussia Dortmund's top flight clash with Wolfsburg might just be the pick of the bunch.
Chelsea stars Kepa and Marcos Alonso are due to be warned over social distancing for standing too close to fans while posing for photos.
Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola has opened talks with Juventus ahead of a potential summer move, according to reports in France.
The France star, 27, has been pushing for a “new challenge” since last summer – with Real Madrid and Juventus both keen.
But Raiola appears to prefer a move back to his former club for Pogba, with Le10Sport claiming he has kicked off talks with the Serie A giants.
SHOWING FANS LOVE
Nick Kyrgios revealed he usually has sex with fans once a week.
The Australian tennis star, 25, was most recently dating fellow player Anna Kalinskaya.
But the pair called things off in March and Kyrgios said outside of relationships he will regularly hook up with supporters.
During a live stream playing Fortnite at home in Australia, he was asked if he has ever slept with a fan.
Kyrgios replied: “Yes.
“In all seriousness if I'm not seeing someone it's like a weekly thing.”
JUR'S WER GAME
Liverpool are closing in on a £52million deal for Germany sensation Timo Werner.
Sources say the transfer of the RB Leipzig striker is “happening”.
Boss Jurgen Klopp is desperate to sign the hitman and plans to bring in £52m by selling Roma-target Xherdan Shaqiri, Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic.
German newspaper Bild's Head of Football Christian Falk believes Werner's switch to Liverpool will happen this summer.
He told lfctransferroom: “According to our information, the clause is 55 million as a base value and can grow to 60 million if RB Leipzig makes it into the Champions League.
“And yes, I think this transfer is happening. Interestingly, Werner now has a new Social Media and Marketing agency.The boss of this agency is also Jurgen Klopp’s manager.”
TO BE FRANK
Frank Lampard says football must only return when it is safe after N'Golo Kante refused to return to training over safety fears.
He told BBC Football Focus: “Safety has to come first. Once we get over Phase One, see what Phase Two looks like and beyond that, then we can think about getting the games back, albeit behind-closed-doors.
“All of us here we want to do it, it's our job, we are very fortunate to have this job, to play football, and we want to finish it.
“But we have seen much more important things in the country and the world than football happen and I think that has been a bit of a reset for all of us.
'What remains is we want to play football and what remains of this season, but as you say the most important thing is when it is safe and healthy for players and staff.
“Fans won't be coming but will it change things for society with the police and the NHS? All these things need to come together and hopefully we can get our game back.”
Manchester United have been dealt a major transfer blow after reports emerged suggest Bayern Munich are after Jadon Sancho.
The Borussia Dortmund and England winger, 20, is high on the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's wish list after his stunning performances since moving to Germany in 2017.
But according to ESPN, Dortmund's Bundesliga enemies Bayern Munich enquired about a deal for Sancho before the coronavirus crisis struck.
Dortmund value their star at more than £100million – although Bayern would no doubt have to play a premium on top of that if they wanted to sign from their fiercest domestic rivals.
Arsenal confirmed they will refund ticket holders for their ten remaining matches this season.
The Gunners have four home fixtures and six away left in the current campaign, which has been suspended due to coronavirus.
And with fan safety impossible to guarantee, it is “inevitable” all 92 Premier League games still to play will go ahead behind closed doors.
Therefore, the Emirates club said they will reimburse supporters who have already paid for their seats.
Manchester United have pulled the plug on a lucrative tour to India this summer as the coronavirus pandemic continues to bite.
Old Trafford chiefs have already admitted that due to Covid-19 they will not go on tour over the next few months.
United had planned to play a match in India as football continues to grow in the sub-continent.
But United's chief financial officer Cliff Baty revealedthis year's tour has been cancelled.
Mauricio Pochettino went for a coffee with Unai Emery after they lost their jobs last season.
The North London bosses were sacked within ten days of each other but both will be remembered very differently at their respective clubs.
Pochettino told the Guardian: “
Before the pandemic, me and Jesús met with Unai for a coffee, to talk and share our experiences.
“We were working in different clubs, we were at the enemy, and people were walking past and saying: 'Unai and Pochettino and Jesús are now sharing a coffee!'
“It was in Cockfosters [in north London]. It was very funny.”
Three Premier League clubs are in talks to have cardboard cout-out of real fans in their stadiums when football returns.
The 'Stay at Home – Be at the Game' project lets supported upload a picture of themselves to used on a lifesize cardboard cut out and a trio of Prem clubs are considering it.
At £20 each, some of the money will be donated to help the NHS in their battle against Covid-19.
Top US sporting bodies like the NBA, Serie A and MLS have also shown an interest as international sport looks set to return behind closed doors in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
PREMIER LEAGUE LATEST
The Premier League is “as confident as we can be” about the season restarting in June, according to chief executive Richard Masters.
“There is some momentum. We've taken the first step,” Masters told BBC Sport.
“It's great for everybody, including the fans, to see our players back on the training ground.”
With June 12 previously suggested as a potential return date, Masters was more vague saying they must be “flexible” and learn what they can from the Bundesliga.
He also recognised the need for “contingency plans” and said “curtailment is still a possibility”, meaning the season would be ended, but there was “optimism” fans could attend matches next season.
GOOD MORNING, SPORTS FANS
Chelsea, Manchester United and City are sweating on their European hopes this season – but Premier League chiefs are “as confident as we can be” the domestic season will restart.
In the Champions League, the government-imposed 14-day quarantine on UK arrivals from June 8 imperils Real Madrid's second leg at the Etihad and means Chelsea's players would be forced to isolate after returning from Bayern Munich.
And unless exemptions can be agreed, it also gives Britain's three Europa League representatives a headache.
United are 5-0 up against LASK with the home leg to come, while Wolves and Rangers are still involved.
But Prem chief executive Richard Masters said of Project Restart: “There is some momentum. We've taken the first step.
“It's great for everybody, including the fans, to see our players back on the training ground.”
The Prem hopes to resume in mid-June, having brought in strictly-controlled training sessions from this week.
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta showed he had fully recovered from coronavirus, smiling broadly as he took the Gunners' practice sessions at London Colney.
But Watford's plans are in disarray – with SIX players missing training.
Apart from four already absent, manager Nigel Pearson has revealed two more are staying away from the club as close friends or family members have tested positive for coronavirus.
They join Adrian Mariappa, who was the one player out of three club staff to test positive. plus Troy Deeney and two team-mates, who all have health concerns.
And Formula One chiefs have confirmed the British GP on July 19 will be OFF – unless the Government changes the new quarantine rules.
BAYERN DECLINE TO PAY COUTINHO FEE
Bayern Munich will spark more talk of Philippe Coutinho returning to the Premier League by declining to pay a £110million option to buy the Barcelona playmaker.
Chelsea, Manchester United and even old club Liverpool have been linked with the Brazil star, 27, although financial restraints due to the coronavirus pandemic make a summer transfer less likely.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Der Spiegel: “The option expired and “we haven't activated it.
“Now we're going to draw up squad planning internally (for next season) and we'll see if he still has a role to play with us or not.”
Coutinho started just 15 of Bayern's 25 games, coming on as substitute eight times, before the Covid-19 lockdown halted football action.
But with Barca insisting he could still have a role back at the Nou Camp, he hopes to impress now the Bundesliga has restarted.
AJ KO'D BY TEACHERS
World heavyweight champ Anthony Joshua jokes he went from “Superdad” to being floored by his son JJ's schoolteaches during lockdown.
The British boxing hero dedicated the first few weeks of enforced staying in to his family
But he gave up homeschooling after an email from his private school.
He said: “In the first week I was Superdad — I was coming down the stairs with a cape on.
“But then I got slapped with an email invoice for school fees and I thought ‘Woah, if I am paying fees then these teachers best be doing their jobs as well’.
“The home schooling was taken off me after a couple of weeks but his mum does a great job with him.”
Source: Read Full Article