Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: Premier League players test positive LATEST, Celtic SPFL champions with league abandoned – The Sun

THE Bundesliga returned this weekend, and talks are continuing for the Premier League's comeback.

But Scotland's SPL has been abandoned – with Celtic winning the title, and Hearts relegated with the league decided by average points per game.

Follow all the latest coronavirus in sport updates below, underneath our quick poll…

  • ONE CLUB MISSING

    As per reports, it is understood the six positive tests from 748 were from 19 Premier League clubs.

    The final side, as yet unnamed, are understood to have conducted their checks today.

    So those results will be included in an overall total later this week.

  • SIX POSITIVE

    More on the news of those six positive test results – and the Premier League have issued the following statement.

    They said: “The Premier League can today confirm that, on Sunday 17 May and Monday 18 May, 748 players and club staff were tested for Covid-19.

    “Of these, six have tested positive from three clubs. Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

    “The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and oversight.

    “No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the Premier League due to legal and operational requirements.”

  • BREAKING NEWS

    The Premier League has announced six players from three clubs have tested positive for coronavirus as doubts over Project Restart continue.

    Top-flight bosses had pencilled in a return date of Friday June 12 for the first match back from the lockdown.

    The League confirmed there have been six positive test results from 748 players and staff.

    Those individuals will now self-isolate for 14 days.

  • NO SPRINT FINISH

    The organisers of Dublin Marathon have confirmed they have cancelled the annual event due to Covid-19.

    The marathon had been scheduled to take place on Sunday, October 25.

    Jim Aughney, race director, said: “We know this is extremely disappointing for all runners, especially those who secured marathon entries.

    “We made the difficult decision in the best interest of the health and wellbeing of all those involved in making our events such a success from runners, supporters, volunteers, sponsors, to suppliers.

    “We explored many alternatives for running the events safely but ultimately none were viable.”

    All entries for the marathon and the race series will be valid for the 2021 races.

    Aidan Power, director of marketing and corporate affairs of KBC who sponsor the event, said: “Whilst this decision will disappoint the many loyal runners and spectators of the Dublin Marathon, it is essential that public health and wellbeing takes priority over everything else.”

  • TESTING TIMES

    Liverpool and Tottenham stars were seen arriving at their respective training grounds to receive their coronavirus test results.

    Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk, Lucas Moura and Jan Vertonghen were amongst the players to arrive at training for their final solo sessions on Tuesday.

    Premier League stars are set to receive the results of their first coronavirus test imminently as they prepare to return to group training sessions.

    Manchester United are another club to have had their tests done – with the club doctor the only person allowed at the Aon Training Complex at Carrington on Monday.

    Should players receive negative results, they will begin to be incorporated into larger training groups as they step up their return to action.

    Team-mates will be allowed to return in groups of five but in a non-contact environment – what is being called “phase one” of the return.

  • HOME WIN

    Manchester United have begged fans to “stay away from any stadium at which we are playing” as they reveal their behind-closed-doors game plans.

    In a long email sent to supporters, Old Trafford chiefs pleaded with them to watch matches from the comfort of their own home due to coronavirus.

    The Premier League is hoping to restart on June 12 and will do so behind closed doors and quite possibly NOT at neutral stadiums.

    Man Utd's game against Tottenham is likely to be the first top-flight match back, broadcast as the Friday night game.

    United's email to fans read: “We share your disappointment that you will not be able to watch United in person from within the stadium.

    “But we would encourage you to give your continued loyal support from the comfort and safety of your home.

    “To help with that, the Premier League and their media partners will work to deliver the very best broadcast coverage of our games.”

  • WHITE NOISE

    UFC President Dana White has taken to social media to hit back at comedian John Oliver.

    On his show Last Week Tonight, Oliver bashed the UFC, taking particular delight in mocking the concept of “Fight Island”.

    He said: “While they couldn’t fly in international fighters for that event, their president Dana White has devised an insane workaround.

    “Yes, the UFC is apparently building a facility on a private island that they’re calling ‘Fight Island.’

    “Now, is that a clever name? No. Is it the perfect name? Yes!

    “Because it’s the first thought an idiot would have if they wanted to name a private island where fights happen.”

    White, however, was unhappy with Oliver's “selective” portrayal of the UFC's efforts to stage elite live sport during the coronavirus pandemic.

    He hit back on social media: “I like John Oliver, I think he’s funny.

    “But this is a perfect example of how you can control the narrative by using selective facts.

    “We did approximately 1,100 tests, only 3 were positive, it was a fighter and his two trainers and we had 3 events NOT 1”.

  • FINAL DELAY

    Rugby league's Challenge Cup final has been postponed because of the Covid-19 outbreak.

    But the game's bosses have left open the option of heading to Wembley later in the year.

    The showpiece – attended last year by Prince Harry – was set to take place on Saturday, July 18 after it was moved from its August date.

    However the pandemic has forced the entire sport to be shut down and the date of the final will move, if it happens at all.

    Four Super League sides – Toronto Wolfpack, Huddersfield, Hull KR and Wakefield – have already played one match in the competition.

    The rest of the top flight – including current holders Warrington – comes in for the last 16.

  • PICKED OFF

    England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford’s lavish wedding to sweetheart Megan Davison in the Maldives has fallen victim to the coronavirus, the couple have revealed.

    They should have been getting hitched in front of family and friends yesterday ahead of the Everton star joining his team-mates for Euro 2020.

    The couple had a quickie informal register ceremony in March and Megan said on Instagram: “We’re getting married in the morning.

    “Well we should have been! It’s all gone a bit Pete Tong, so here’s a throwback of us on our legal registry office day since there are bigger things going on in the world right now.

    “You are worth the wait my love @jpickford1”.

    And they now face the prospect of waiting more than a year to get married.

  • 'AMAZED IF NOT'

    Jamie Carragher has warned a Premier League star is bound to test positive for Covid-19.

    Tests will be carried out on players today after clubs agreed a return to training.

    Former Liverpool and England star Carragher – now a pundit with Sky Sports – said: “I’ll be absolutely amazed if no one tests positive for Covid-19 up and down this country. I fully expect that to happen.

    “I think the results come out this afternoon and it is something we should not get massively hysterical about if it does happen.

    “I think it will happen and that player then has to isolate. But that’s bound to happen.

    “It’s happened in other countries and it will happen in the Premier League.”

  • LIFTING THE LID

    Ashley Young showed off his dramatic new lockdown hair – as he cannot fly his beloved barber in from UK to get a much needed trim.

    The former Manchester United captain had been lockdown in Milan since the start of March amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    But as Italian teams returned to training this week, Young did so with a full head of hair.

    The ex-England international has had a shaved head since he joined Aston Villa from Watford in 2007 – and fans online were shocked by new his lockdown look.

    One said: “Ashley Young actually has hair. Never thought I'd see the day.”

    Another said: “Who else is seeing Ashley young with hair for the very first time.”

  • HOME WORKOUT

    Manchester United star Aaron Wan-Bissaka showed off his morning workout on social media this morning.

    The full-back will be back in full training soon after the Premier League agreed to Phase One of Project Restart.

    Here he is ensuring he gets back supple as possible…

  • LOCKDOWN JOY

    Usain Bolt has become a father for the first time after his long-time partner Kasi Bennett gave birth to a baby girl.

    The eight-time Olympic Gold medallist is yet to share the name of his daughter, but news of the delivery was announced by Jamaican prime minister Andrew Holness on Monday.

    Holness tweeted: “Congratulations to our sprint legend Usain Bolt and Kasi Bennett on the arrival of their baby girl.”

    The happy couple hosted a luxury gender reveal party back in March which featured fireworks and a huge celebrity guest list, after which Bolt told fans he is set to become a “girl dad.”

    The sprint legend, 33, has been dating Bennett, four years his junior, since 2014 but the pair only went public in 2016.

  • RON OF A KIND

    CRISTIANO RONALDO arrived back at Juventus for training on Tuesday – as Paris Saint-Germain's owner hinted at a stunning transfer for the “relentless athlete”.

    The Portuguese star, 35, is back in Turin after spending lockdown in his native Madeira.

    Ronaldo looked sombre as he drove to the club's training ground, with Serie A aiming to get back underway on June 13.

    Juventus will be hoping to cling on to their ONE-POINT lead over Lazio with 12 games to go.

    But Ronaldo may not be a Juve player much longer, with PSG owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi speaking of his admiration for the superstar striker.

    The Qatari chief mentioned Ronaldo in the same breath as “transformative” PSG legends Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Beckham, subtly hinting at another ambitious swoop.

  • KEEP FIGHTING

    Khabib Nurmagomedov revealed over 20 family members have been sick from coronavirus as his father Abdulmanap remains hospitalised in a “very serious” condition.

    The UFC Lightweight Champion was rocked last week when his dad and trainer was rushed to a Moscow hospital after suffering heart complications as a result of the virus.

    Now the 31-year-old Dagestan star has lifted the lid on the devastation caused by the Covid-19 outbreak on those nearest and dearest to him.

    During an Instagram live chat overnight, Nurmagomedov confirmed Abdulmanap is still “very serious condition” and explained: “This virus has very seriously affected his heart, since he had a heart operation a year ago.

    “He's had surgery again. He's in a difficult situation, very difficult.

    “We ask Allah to return him to us. Thank you very much to everyone who writes, who sends their support. May Allah help us all.”

  • MORNING SPORT FANS,

    Today is the day that Premier League clubs can make a return to training – in small groups, of course.

    The 20 teams in the top-flight “unanimously” agreed to return to “Stage One” training.

    This means the Prem players will be able to train individually or in groups of up to five as they prepare for the long-awaited return of football.

    But European football faces a renewed threat — after government ministers vetoed a bid to exempt sports stars from a travel quarantine.

    And that would scupper boss Pep Guardiola and Manchester City’s chances of winning a first Champions League title.

    New arrivals into the UK have to isolate for 14 days, but bosses of elite sports initially persuaded Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden to fight for an exemption.

    But the Cabinet minister has been overruled by ministers at the Department of Health and Cabinet Office.

    Elsewhere, Anthony Joshua has claimed some British boxers are dodging the coronavirus comeback.

    On the Talk the Talk YouTube show, Eddie Hearn said: “I was speaking to AJ about it yesterday and he trained at the office quite a lot at the start of his career and he said he loved it.

    “He said something to me that resonated, he said: ‘I think some people just don’t want to fight'.”

  • DEE-LIGHTFUL

    Troy Deeney claims he has refused to return to Watford training.

    The striker is worried about the risk of Covid-19 to his young son and BAME players.

    He said: “We’re due back in this week. I’ve said I’m not going. It only takes one to get infected. I don’t want to bring that home — my son is five months and he’s had breathing difficulties.

    “I don’t want to  put him in more danger. You’ve got to drive back in the same dirty kit.

    “If I’m putting my clothing in with my son’s  or my missus’  it’s more likely to be in  the house.

    “I’ve lost my Dad, my Gran, my Grandad… I’ve more or less everyone that I care about. So that, to me, is more important than a few quid in my back pocket.”

  • D-DAY INCOMING

    We've had two months of moaning, bleating and  blatant self-interest.

    Of hiding behind the legitimate concerns of players who will be on the frontline.

    And sending up trial balloons in a blatant bid to obstruct and prevent football coming back.

    But with D-day pencilled in for the 20 Prem clubs on Thursday, May 28, all that must come to an end — for good.

    It is now time for top-flight clubs to grow a pair and tell us the truth.

    To read the rest from Martin Lipton, click here.

  • RED CARPET

    Liverpool have been promised they WILL be allowed a Prem trophy lift – but behind closed doors.

    Jurgen Klopp's side need just two wins from their remaining nine games to clinch the title.

    League chief executive Richard Masters vowed that the new champions will be handed the trophy in the traditional manner, allowing them a sort of celebration.

    Masters said: “If at all possible, yes, there will be a ceremony and they will pass the trophy round.

    “We would like to have a trophy presentation to give the players and staff the moment they have worked so hard for.

    “So we would try and do it unless it wasn’t possible because of safety concerns.

    “From a planning perspective, we are focused on finishing the 2019-20 season, but we also have to plan for all eventualities.”

  • EYE SPY

    Premier League chiefs will send spy squads into club training grounds to prevent managers cheating their way past return-to-work rules.

    The 20 Prem clubs “unanimously” agreed a return to “Stage One” training from Tuesday, allowing players to undergo non-contact work individually or in groups of up to five.

    But with many of the clubs simply not trusting each other to obey the rules, league bosses have assembled a crack squad of snoops who have the right to demand entry and check nobody is sneaking in extra sessions or banned contact work.

    That will include being able to order clubs to hand over video of sessions and their player monitoring equipment.

    Premier League director of football Richard Garlick said: “We have put in place rules and protocols around our ability to monitor clubs.

    “We can request information from videoing of the sessions and GPS data, too, to show how much a team has been training.”

  • EXCLUSIVE

    European football faces a renewed threat — after government ministers vetoed a bid to exempt sports stars from a travel quarantine.

    And that would scupper boss Pep Guardiola and Manchester City’s chances of winning a first Champions League title.

    Under Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s tough new coronavirus restriction, all new arrivals to the UK will have to isolate for 14 days.

    That includes returning British nationals and residents, making international travel for players all-but impossible.

    The bosses of elite sports initially persuaded Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden to fight for an exemption.

    But the Cabinet minister has been overruled by ministers at the Department of Health and Cabinet Office.

  • DON IT ALL

    Maradona breaks down recalling his tough childhood during an appeal for food for the hungry during coronavirus.

    The former Naples star begged people to show solidarity with an organisation called Corazones Solidarios, which supports those struggling to put food on the table.

    And his voice cracked with emotion as he remembered his own tough upbringing in Villa Fiorito in Greater Buenos Aires.

    Maradona recalled his beloved late mum known in Argentina as Dona Tota as he said: “All my love to Corazones Solidarios.

    “All my affection, all the love of my old mum.”

    Ending his address with a thumbs-up as his eyes welled up with tears, he added: “Help, help to feed people. This is no show because in Fiorito I suffered more than just the cold.”

  • GAME DAY

    Fear not sport-deprived fans, there's Bundesliga action back on the box tonight.

    Werder Bremen are up against Bayer Leverkusen.

    You can watch the match live on BT Sport 1 – but get a move as the match kicked off at 19:30.

  • TOO SOUN

    Graeme Souness was slammed on social media after suggesting he would be willing to play football even after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Speaking on Sky Sports, he said: “If I test positive and a manager is pushing me to play, yeah I’d possibly go for it.

    “You might call me irresponsible but if I was a player now, I’d be desperate to get back playing.

    “Footballers have a social responsibility, but on the other side of it, football can do so much good.

    “To answer your question, I think I could be persuaded to play if I felt fine and I tested positive, but that’s just me.”

  • COMEBACK TRAIL

    LaLiga plans to restart the season involve having a maximum of 197 people inside the stadium on matchday.

    With players returning to training in groups of ten this week, chiefs are growing confident of commencing the corona-hit campaign on June 12.

    And on the back of the Bundesliga's apparent success at the weekend, league organisers have drawn up a highly detailed plan to ensure safety is paramount.

    That includes having players and officials tested 24 hours before their fixture and have temperatures recorded when heading into the stadium.

    Like the Bundesliga, opposing players will not line up in the tunnel next to each other and there will be no pre-match handshakes.

    Goal celebrations are likely to be allowed, however.

Source: Read Full Article