Messi confirms Barcelona players WILL take 70 per cent wage cut
£500,000 per week star Lionel Messi confirms Barcelona players WILL take 70 per cent wage cut but hits out at the club AGAIN… accusing them of ‘trying to put players under a magnifying glass’ in row over pay
- Lionel Messi has confirmed that Barcelona players have taken a 70% wage cut
- The players and the club’s hierarchy were said to be at odds over a reduction
- However, the Argentina star has sought to clarify the position of the players
- Messi hit out at the club’s hierarchy over putting pressure on his team-mates
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
Lionel Messi has hit back at suggestions players at Barcelona were being selfish and mean-spirited in their response to the coronavirus crisis, calling out the club’s board and promising to take an extra pay-cut so everyone gets paid.
Messi used his Instagram account on Monday to confirm that Barcelona players WILL take a 70 per cent pay cut during Spain’s state of emergency. This comes after it had been suggested that the club’s best-paid professionals were the only ones against the pay-cuts announced last week.
And the captain, speaking for what appears to be a disgruntled squad, went on to suggest that certain members of the board had tried to make players look bad.
Lionel Messi has confirmed that Barcelona’s playing squad have taken a 70 per cent wage cut
Last week, tensions between the players and club hierarchy had become very public as Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu proposed that the players take a wage cut
Messi wrote: ‘It never ceases to amaze us that from within the club there were those who tried to put us under the magnifying glass, adding pressure for us to do what we were always going to do anyway.
‘In fact, if we waited a few days it was only because we were trying to find a formula to help the club and its workers in such difficult times.’
Spain remains in complete lockdown until April 11 with 7,340 deaths from Covid-19, 1,410 of which have been recorded in Catalonia.
Reports circulated that senior members of the playing squad baulked at the proposed cut
However, the Barca star shared a statement on social media clarifying the players’ position
The season has been put on indefinite hold and Barcelona announced across the board pay-cuts last week. They did so without the public backing of the board and it was insinuated that the club’s first-team footballers were against the plan.
Messi wrote on his Instagram account: “For our part, the moment has come to announce that apart from the reduction of 70 per cent of our salary during the state of alarm, we will also make contributions so that the club’s employees can collect 100 per cent of their salary while this situation lasts.”
Barcelona also issued a statement confirming the extra financial gesture made by the first-team players.
It read: ‘In the case of the football team, the reduction will be more than 70 per cent. This additional contribution from the squad, plus the contribution from the club, will guarantee all non-sports personnel will receive 100 per cent of their salaries.’
Spain is in a state of emergency due to the coronavirus and clubs are being hit financially
A 70 per cent cut dramatically reduces the wages of Messi and his Barca team-mates, who currently earns an estimated £500,000 per week
Last week, reports emerged that several senior members of the squad are said to have baulked at Barcelona’s plans to cut wages by 70 per cent, with president Josep Maria Bartomeu moving to ensure a more favourable compromise was reached.
Barcelona boast some of the highest-paid players in the world, including Messi who earns a mind-boggling £500,000 per week before tax, not including any bonuses or image rights.
Meanwhile, £108million signing Antoine Griezmann earns £294,000 a week, Luiz Suarez takes home £290,000 a week, and Gerard Pique rakes in £220,000 every seven days.
Messi insists that the team want those at the club to earn 100% of their salary during the crisis
Messi slammed the club’s hierarchy for putting the players under pressure when they always intended to take a wage cut
Over 7,000 people have died in the country as Europe is hit hardest by the deadly disease
CORONAVIRUS : THE IMPACT ON LA LIGA
All football in Spain has been put on hold indefinitely as the country looks to deal with the continued spread of the coronavirus.
La Liga was postponed for two rounds of games earlier in March as the country is in a state of emergency.
As it stands, football will not resume until the Spanish government feels it is safe to do so.
La Liga had taken action after a member of the Real Madrid basketball team contracted the virus.
On Sunday, the Spanish government extended the state of emergency to April 11.
Prior to the postponement of football, Barcelona had been leading La Liga by two points.
According Spanish outlet Marca, the club have chosen to take the unprecedented step due to an anticipated loss of €100M from ticket sales, broadcast fees, Champions League revenue and merchandise sales.
And in a worse-case scenario in which the season cannot be concluded, there is a danger that television contracts will also not be honoured.
Spain is currently in a State of Emergency as the country battles to contain the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
At the time of publishing, 7,340 people have died as a result of the disease while there are 85,195 reported cases. Spain’s death toll is second to Italy as Europe is hit hard by the pandemic.
All football in Spain has been put on hold indefinitely as the number of deaths continue to rise in the country.
Barcelona had been leading La Liga by two points prior to the postponement of the season due to the spread of the deadly disease.
Source: Read Full Article