State Parliament shuts as security guard tests positive to COVID-19

Sittings of the state Parliament scheduled for this week have been thrown into doubt after a security guard tested positive for COVID-19, forcing the closure of the Spring Street building for deep cleaning.

Parliamentary authorities said on Sunday that the guard’s close contacts were being traced and the building and its grounds would remain shut "until further notice".

Sitting of the Victorian Parliament has been thrown into doubt.Credit:Eddie Jim

The presiding officers said the guard who had tested positive did not work at other locations.

"Contact tracing by the Department of Health and Human Services has commenced,” the statement read.

"Deep cleaning of the areas where the person worked in the building has been undertaken and is continuing.

"This is on top of the ongoing high-level cleaning already undertaken in Parliament House each weekday.

"The welfare of the person concerned and of all Members and employees is of utmost importance to us.

"We are taking every precaution to maintain the health and safety of everyone working at Parliament."

The Department of Health and Human Services said its contact tracers were examining the Parliament’s security rosters in an effort to track down the guard’s close contacts.

“Initial investigation suggests minimal contact with others on site, however all rosters are being examined to confirm this,” the department said in a statement.

“The department is working closely with both the security company and Parliament House officials to ensure all appropriate public health actions are taken to keep people safe, including contact tracing, quarantine and cleaning.”

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments at a glance, the numbers you need to know and what our readers are saying. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in Politics

Source: Read Full Article