Thousands of households can get up to £1,000 in free cash for food and council tax bills – how to apply | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households can get up to £1,000 in free cash to help with food and energy bills – here's how to check if you're eligible.

The help comes as part of the latest round of Household Support Fund which is worth £842million.

Each council gets a different portion of funding depending on the size of the catchment area, population, and need.

Grants on offer vary by location so you'll have to check to see what you can get and how your council will pay you.

It was due to end in March this year but was extended until April 2024 meaning households can get more support.

You'll usually need to be on a low income to receive the help.


Shoppers rush to buy £12 B&M home essential that could help you cut energy bills

The underused setting on your Sky box that could help slash energy bills

Eligible households can get up to £1,000 free if they live Brent, in north-west London.

Below, we explain who is eligible and how much you could get.

Brent Council has also put aside more than £3.5million to offer residents food vouchers and one-off payments.

Who is eligible and how do I apply?

Brent Council has also put aside more than £3.5million to offer residents food vouchers and one-off payments.

Most read in Money


Martin Lewis warns all households over essential bill – are you owed thousands?


Urgent warning for thousands being hit with surprise fines for free NHS meds


£108m EuroMillions winners can't find buyer for £9m Chelsea-themed mansion


I tested all the supermarket fish fingers, one was miles better than Birds Eye

Residents may receive less than this full amount as awards are based on their specific needs.

In some cases, money will be paid directly into eligible households' bank accounts.

In others, it might come as help paying rent, mortgages or council tax.

You can apply for help through the Resident Support Fund if you live in the Brent area.

You also have to be 18 or over and meet the following conditions:

  • have less than £6,000 in savings
  • need support with meeting your day to day living expenses including food and utility bills
  • are not seeking support to pay for an excluded item
  • are willing to comply with any reasonable conditions concerning the payment award, including for example, support from advice agencies
  • have not made a Resident Support Fund application in the last 12 rolling months

You can only make one application through the Resident Support Fund between now and March 31, 2024.

You can apply on Brent Council's website.

But you will need some paperwork ready beforehand, including:

  • your most recent statements for all bank accounts (including your partner’s bank statements if you have one)
  • you most recent utility bill, if required

Brent Council's website says applications should be processed within eight to 10 weeks.

It will contact residents whose applications have been successful.

If you are at risk of losing your home, or need support urgently, you should call the council on 020 8937 1800.

What other help is on offer?

If you live in Brent and don't meet the criteria for the Resident Support Fund, there is other help on offer.

Millions of households are in line for cost of living payments worth up to £1,350.

The first instalment of the £900 payment is being made to millions on certain benefits, including Universal Credit and Pension Credit, from today (April 25).

Meanwhile, a £150 payment and between £150-£300 payment will be made to millions with disabilities and pensioners.

You may be entitled to the £150 disability cost of living payment if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance for adults
  • Disability Living Allowance for children
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Adult Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Child Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

If you are eligible for the payment, it will be made this summer.

Meanwhile, pensioners who are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2023/24 will get an extra £150 or £300 paid on top of their normal payment from November this year.

You will be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment this winter if you were born before September 25, 1957.

Those eligible for the payment will receive a letter in October and November telling them how much money to expect.

You should check if you are entitled to any benefits that qualify you for the cost of living payments.

Some charities have benefits calculators that will give you a rough estimate of what you could be in line for. That includes:

  • Turn2Us
  • Policy in Practice
  • EntitledTo

Remember though, these calculators offer estimates of what you could receive, and aren't 100% accurate.

But they do serve to remind you of what extra help you could be entitled to.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article