Coronavirus news live – UK death toll at 36,793 and Johnson defends Cummings
The UK’s official coronavirus death toll across all settings has risen to 36,793.
As of Sunday, 8,951 people are in hospital with Covid-19, down 11% from 10,085 this time last week.
Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is facing a growing backlash after using Sunday’s daily press briefing to defend Dominic Cummings.
He said he believed Dominic Cummings did the right thing by travelling 260 miles to his parents’ home in Durham with his wife, who was suffering from coronavirus symptoms, and their four-year-old son.
The PM said his aide had ‘acted responsibly, legally and with integrity’ and that ‘any parent would frankly understand what he did’.
Tory backbenchers have since torn into Mr Johnson over his handling of the row, while scientists claimed that the defence of Mr Cummings’ interpretation of the lockdown rules undermined efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.
- UK coronavirus death toll rises to 36,793 across all settings
- Fury at Boris Johnson as he defends Dominic Cummings over ‘lockdown breach’
- Dominic Cummings reported to police by man who says he saw him on family walk
- Plan to build 3,300 homes in a year and ‘end rough sleeping for good’
- Can I visit friends or family for a barbecue in their garden?
- Market stalls, garden parties and car dealerships ‘set to reopen next month’
- Schools will open June 1 with secondary schools to ‘provide some contact’
Source: Read Full Article