Princess Diana car crash: What happened in Paris in August 1997? – The Sun

PRINCESS Diana died in a high-speed car crash alongside her companion Dodi Al Fayed on August 31, 1997 in Paris.

The People's Princess and the mother to Princes William and Harry almost immediately went into cardiac arrest following the incident, and died soon after at the age of just 36 years old.

Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates

Where did Princess Diana's car crash in Paris?

Princess Diana died at the entrance of the Pont de l'Ama tunnel, close to Malar fire station in Paris.

The Sandringham-born Princess was being chauffeured after staying at the Hotel Ritz Paris.

According to reports, she was travelling to an apartment in Rue Arsène Houssaye without wearing a seat belt.

The Sun previously revealed that the  limo is rotting in a police compound outside Paris. 

Princess Diana died aged 36 – if she was alive today she would have turned 58 on July 1, 2019.

What caused the car crash?

A French investigation found that the driver of Princess Diana's car, Henri Paul, approached the entrance of a road tunnel at Paris's Pont de l'Alma at 70 mph – 40mph over the speed limit.

According to reports, Paul lost control of the car and collided with a pillar in the middle of the highway.

Paul and Dodi Al Fayed were pronounced dead at the scene, but Diana – who was still alive – was rushed to Pitie-Salpetriere Hospital.

Early reports say she was suffering from concussion, a broken arm and a cut thigh but she had also suffered severe chest injuries.

Despite doctors operating on Diana for two hours, she never regained consciousness and died from internal bleeding at 4.53 pm on August 31, 1997.

What happened to Dodi Al Fayed, Princess Diana's lover?

Princess Diana's companion, Dodi Al-Fayed died almost instantly at the scene of the crash.

His body was flown to Britain, for a funeral service in line with Muslim customs.

Once Dodi's death was confirmed, the 11,000 electric bulbs which usually light up the facade of the Harrods store were switched off  – which at the time was owned by his father Mohamed Al-Fayed.

Mohammed reportedly spends 300 days a year sitting beside his son’s body for hours at his lavish mausoleum in the grounds of his mansion in Surrey.

What happened to Princess Diana's bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones?

Trevor Rees-Jones was the only survivor of the tragic car crash.

Before he spent 10 days in a coma, Mr Rees sustained severe brain and chest injuries – every bone in his face was broken.

Surgeons used 150 pieces of titanium to rebuild his smashed face, using family photos as a guide.

Trevor reportedly travelled back to Britain and quit his job as Mohammed Al-Fayed's bodyguard, the following year.

The grief-stricken bodyguard published a book called The Bodyguard's Story: Diana, The Crash, And The Sole Survivor, which earned him a rumoured £1million in 2000.

Mr Al-Fayed later accused him of being part of a cover-up, which he denied.

What happened to Henri Paul, Princess Diana's driver?

Driver Henri Paul was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.

The 41-year-old had a reputation as a 'macho action man' who loved being around celebrities.

Results led experts to suggest he spent the early evening drinking – he was three-times over the French drink-drive limit before he drove Princess Diana and Dodi to their deaths.

    Source: Read Full Article