Seven die after drinking hand sanitiser when they ran out of booze at party in Russia

SEVEN people have died after drinking hand sanitiser after running out of booze at a party in Russia, reports say.

Two of the boozers reportedly remain in a coma after knocking back the chemical substance in Tomtor in the east of the country.

A total of of nine people drank the antiseptic wash widely used to clean hands during the coronavirus pandemic.

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59 while three more men died yesterday as well as one today.

After the first three died, six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

In a statement, the federal public health watchdog said: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal .”

The regional state prosecutor said: “The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser.”

According to reports, the party goers drank the sanitiser, which was 69 per cent methanol, when they ran out of alcohol.

A criminal case has been opened, meanwhile local health officials have warned locals not to drink the antiseptic.

This comes after three people died and one person was left blind, after guzzling hand sanitiser containing methanol, New Mexico health bosses said in June.

Three others are in a critical condition as a result of the incident which officials said was related to alcoholism.

"All seven people are believed to have drunk hand sanitizer containing methanol," said health officials.

Source: Read Full Article