Widower of nurse, 28, who died of coronavirus after giving birth tells of heartbreak as 'she'll never get to see her daughter grow'

THE WIDOWER of a nurse who died of coronavirus days after giving birth has told of his heartbreak that his “perfect wife will never get to see her daughter grow”.

Ernest Boateng lost his wife Mary Agyapong in April – a week after she was admitted to hospital with the virus and just days after their baby was born.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

The 28-year-old was 35 weeks pregnant with her second child when she tested positive for Covid-19.

Doctors delivered her baby, also named Mary, by emergency C-section but she died just five days later on Easter Sunday.

Ernest, 30, told the BBC: “There is no amount of words that can really explain how I’m feeling within.

“She was very kind. Her heart was pure, and she was very genuine.

“We know everybody is not perfect, but Mary was.

“We all wish she was here to breastfeed her daughter, and to see her grow and give her the best of care.”

He added: “Sometimes I laugh and smile about the precious moments we had together.

“There are times too, I could just be walking and just crying.”

We know everybody is not perfect, but Mary was.

Ernest, from Luton, has revealed that his wife of three-and-a-half years felt she could not stop working, despite being heavily pregnant.

He told how Mary, who worked at Luton and Dunstable Hospital in Bedfordshire, used to undress on the doorstep and immediately have a shower before even stopping to talk to him.

He said: “She was really worried to the point that anytime she returned back from work she had to start undressing from the doorstep.

“As soon as she entered the house, the first thing she would do is undress, leave the uniform there and walk straight to the washroom – to the bathroom to have a shower – before she could come down to socialise with the family or even talk to us.”

Ernest said one of Mary's union representatives contacted him shortly after she died.

He said they had warned Mary that is was “not safe” to remain at work and told her “you need to get out of here”.

“But she said she couldn’t help it, she was helpless,” Ernest said.

The hospital told the BBC that Mary was officially on sick leave before the first Covid-19 patient was admitted to her ward.

But Ernest said this is “difficult to comprehend” as some of Mary’s colleagues were self-isolating at the time.

Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: “We were extremely saddened to lose Mary.

“We have carried out a full internal review of the circumstances surrounding her death and we are confident she received the best possible care and support from the Trust.

“We have sent our deepest condolences to Mr Boateng, and are currently working through a number of issues he has raised.”

An inquest opening at Bedfordshire Coroner’s Court last month gave Mary’s cause of death as pneumonia and Covid-19.

A further inquest hearing is listed for September 30.

Source: Read Full Article